The world of medicine is like a bubble. A lot of people THINK they know what goes on there, but unless you're down in the trenches it's unlikely you do. So here is my semi-anonymous blog, here to tell you what really goes on in the life of a medical resident.

Monday, December 18, 2006

'Tis the Season

Because I've been looking to blog and haven't had much to talk about over the weekend, I'm joining in the fun after being tagged by Dr. Wes. I still don't know what the heck 'meme' means, but apparently this is one. In honour of the season...

1. Hot Chocolate or Egg Nog?
Given a choice, probably the hot chocolate. I'll drink Egg Nog if it's diluted 50/50 with milk, but I don't crave it or anything.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
He wraps them. Unwrapping is half the fun of receiving!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
White is my preference, but lights are lights... I love all of them!

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope-- my lips are spoken for, and I haven't been married for so long that I need a reason to kiss my husband!

5. When do you put your decorations up?
My family tradition is to do the deed the first weekend of December, but now that I end up spending holidays traveling to see my mom and my inlaws it doesn't seem worth the effort. A little Scroogey, I know.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
Turkey. Save me a drumstick. And my sister's patented marinated mushrooms.

7. Favorite Holiday memory?
When we were kids my mom made a massive advent calender and under each day of the month there would be a small felt bag that contained three identical little gifts for my sisters and I. It made the whole month feel like Christmas!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
The truth is highly overrated in this case.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
I have in the past, but don't right now... and Mr. Couz and I haven't really decided what traditions we'll be passing on to our own future kidlets.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
With a collection of ornaments that mix old and new, tasteful and tacky, meaningful and not. Again, we're still working on establishing our own traditions.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Love it! It would be un-Canadian to say otherwise.

12. Can you ice skate?
What Canadian hasn't skated the length of the Rideau Canal at Winterlude? Of course I can skate. Can I skate WELL, however, is another question altogether.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Would it be unromantic to say that it was the deep freeze that my mom gave me last year?

14. What’s the most important thing?
Remembering the reason for the season and spending time with loved ones.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
It's all about the Buche de Noel.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Christmas morning-- opening stockings first (my family makes a fuss over stockings), then sitting down to a Christmas Brunch which always features my sister's rocking marinated mushrooms, a huge fruit salad, Montreal bagels and smoked salmon. Damn. Now I'm hungry.

17. What tops your tree?
It used to be an angel with black wings that I made in pre-school. Now it's a much nicer angel that doesn't have nearly as many memories attached to it.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Giving, although with so little time to shop it becomes stressful. I'd rather do away with presents altogether and just make it about family.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Angels We Have Heard on High

20. Candy canes, Yuck or Yum?
Love 'em. We're lucky if there are any left for the tree.

I won't be tagging anyone-- most of the blogs I frequent have meme-d already (is that a verb?) and I don't want to be responsible for putting pressure on a relative stranger.

More real blogging to come later.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger DrWes said...

Nice to see another Buche-lover! Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas!

10:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stop talking and get your sweet booty home for Christmas.

I have a boil that needs tending to.


Love,

Heavy D

5:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very off topic...I stumbled across your blog and have read it in its entirety (slow night). I have one burning question: Whatever happened to "Mary"? Can you tell us without breaching confidentiality? I'm working on a dual OB/GYN Nurse Practitioner- Registered Nurse Midwife program in the States and need to know how it turned out... Also, in one entry you opted for using an in-hospital midwife for an uncomplicated pregnancy, but in another stated that you'd be interested in a scheduled C-Section. Just wondering which way you're leaning lately, and why the change? Love your blog, Merry Christmas!

9:26 PM

 
Blogger Dr Dork said...

*chortling*

I wasn't sure what meme means either!

Mushrooms sound great.

May I recommend this:

Subject: Balsamic Mushrooms


1/3 cup olive oil
11/2 tbls balsamic vinegar
2 tsp brown sugar
600g button mushrooms
1/3 cup chopped fresh herbs(if available)
(parsley,chives,tarragon)

1. Preheat oven 220 deg. C

2. Combine olive oil,vinegar,garlic,sugar,sauce,
1 garlic clove crushed salt & pepper in a screw top jar, shake well.

3. Place mushrooms in cooking bowl & pour over
2 tbls sweet chilli sauce mixture.
salt & ground black pepper

4. Bake for 20-25 mins.Sprinkle with herbs.

Happy holidays
Dork

4:43 AM

 
Blogger UptownGal said...

Have always loved your blog. Still reading religiously. Here's wishing u a MERRY CHRISTMAS all the way from Singapore! May the Lord bless your loved ones and u richly!

3:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home