The world of medicine is like a bubble. A lot of people THINK they know what goes on there, but unless you're down in the trenches it's unlikely you do. So here is my semi-anonymous blog, here to tell you what really goes on in the life of a medical resident.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Huh. Interesting.

In the past week, I've had three random e-mails sent to the account linked to this blog. Each of them contains a link to a website, and asks me to 'evaluate their site' and consider adding them to my blogroll. I find this odd. As flattering as I find it to be included on sites that I admire (Flea and Charity Doc come to mind) and as much as I strive to someday be included on the sidebar at Mr. Hassle's Long Underpants, it would never occur to me to contact a blogger to ask to be included. Is this how people boost their hit count? Does this mean I have 'arrived' as a blogger? It would be nice to think so, but since I've never had such a request before and now have received three in short order, I have to suspect that it might simply be spam.

On the other hand, I'd like to officially introduce a couple of friends of mine to the world of blogging. Dr. H is an anaesthesia resident, her husband, Dr. J is a family physician currently doing locums in the far north. I've been enjoying their stories for awhile now, and I think that others would as well. Check them out at Adventures in Medicine.

Also, look out for yours truly in an upcoming issue of The Medical Post. I don't know exactly when it will be coming out, but I was interviewed last month for an article on physician bloggers. Hopefully, they'll make me sound somewhat intelligent.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Andy Helms said...

Well, if you've "arrived as a blogger," I guess we can start doing annoying stuff like this?


FIRST!!!!

LIEK OMG I WAS LIEK THE 1ST LIEK COMMENTURRRR!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!

12:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are likely spammers. They have gotten very clever in nasking spam sites. Delete. Delete.

Whenever I receive comments that start with a generic compliment and then proceed directly to asking for a link, they inevitably track to commercial websites.

5:49 PM

 
Blogger Dr. J. said...

Thanks for the link Dr. C. I'm glad you are enjoying our blog! I will admit that knowing that others read the blog occasionally makes me a bit reluctant to post anything potentially controversial, or any essay-ish stuff that is more an exercise in writing than stuff folks might find entertaining...but regardless, I'll try my best to keep putting up content!
Cheers,
Dr. J.

9:49 PM

 
Blogger Doc Shazam said...

Hey, my first visit to your blog. And since you didn't ask...I'll be happy to include you on my blogroll!

But seriously, the way you increase your hit count and get on other peoples rolls is exactly what you did today.

Post links to other sites that you like from your blogs, highlight their posts. I saw your website from my referral logs, recognized it as new and decided to stop by.

Bingo.
:)

10:15 PM

 
Blogger Charity Doc said...

I've admired the back of your head and beautiful flowing hair for a very long time now and have secretly hoped that one day when I click to your blog that angelic face would be revealed.

There, I've said it. No one else has the guts to.

7:04 PM

 
Blogger Couz said...

Heh. I'm thinking you'd be sorely disappointed. Best left to a creative imagination.

10:05 PM

 
Blogger MRasey said...

While some of them may be spammers, sending a private email is a legitimate way to get your blog 'out there'.

Reciprocal linking makes the blogosphere go round.

So long as the site looks legit and unoffensive, it's customary to link to it or give a 'shout out'. Otherwise you run the risk of appearing snobbish and losing readers.

M

11:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home