The world of medicine is like a bubble. A lot of people THINK they know what goes on there, but unless you're down in the trenches it's unlikely you do. So here is my semi-anonymous blog, here to tell you what really goes on in the life of a medical resident.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

1 weekend of call
3 sepsis workups (on the same night)
1 last-minute presentation for resident's rounds
5 12-hour workdays... and 1 30-hour workday
2 patient transfers to the ICU
2 Whipples (DAMN the Whipple!)
1 meeting with the dean
1 program switch
7 first-year med students expecting me to teach them something
1 ACLS Instructor's course (with much prep work needed)
4 unprovoked crying fits (not in public, at least!)
1 night of journal club
1 postcall meltdown
0 personal life

= 1 very, very bad week.

More when I feel better.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger ICU 101 said...

ah, you've just described the main reason i lost interest in pursuing a medical career...

now, what's this about a program switch???

11:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

us "nonmedical" people really appreciate the dedication of those in the medical field.. thank you for your long hours, hard work and willingness to put others before yourself. you are a special person

11:19 PM

 
Blogger Carina said...

Wow. That's one really, really bad week. I'm sorry you've been through all of that. :(

I'd take you out to the coffeeshop tonight for the knit-in to help you relax if I could. I know that always helps me when I've had horrible, awful, no good, very bad weeks.

3:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and one funny blog !!!!

4:03 PM

 
Blogger VitaminKMD said...

Dude. I feel your pain. Except I CRIED in public. One small tear of frustration, but still.

I'm sending some lovin'.

12:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The doctor on Grey's Anatomy last night was EXCITED about a whipple in operating room two. I think you complain too much. ;)

9:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a Nurse for the past 25 years and spending 20 of those years in the E.D I saw very clearly the pain and frustration that you are experiencing in the faces of many a resident. Almost all of them ( > 98 % ) turned out to be excellent physicians as well as excellent people. Hang in there, it gets better.

P.S.

If anyone has witnessed or taken care of a post-op Whipple pt they would be in total agreement of your apt description of it !

9:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home