The world of medicine is like a bubble. A lot of people THINK they know what goes on there, but unless you're down in the trenches it's unlikely you do. So here is my semi-anonymous blog, here to tell you what really goes on in the life of a medical resident.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Pimp of the Week, Volume II

Today I was pimped on greek mythology. My staff anesthesiologist wanted to know the origins of the words Morphine and Atropine (two commonly used drugs in anaesthesia). When I looked appropriately confused, he hinted that they came from the words Morphea and Atropius (or something like that). I was incredulous... he seriously wanted me to research greek mythology and get back to him? Yup. But at least he was impressed that I knew they were based in greek mythology.

I can only hope that this means I know everything I need to know about medicine and the staff guys are running out of things to ask me.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger ICU 101 said...

i don't know how you residents do it... when i'm doing rounds with the doctors, i think there's at least 15 minutes dedicated to pimping the poor residents... the only thing that i like about it is when i can answer the question and try to give them hints as to what it is...

1:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home