The world of medicine is like a bubble. A lot of people THINK they know what goes on there, but unless you're down in the trenches it's unlikely you do. So here is my semi-anonymous blog, here to tell you what really goes on in the life of a medical resident.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Quick Update...

Just so that no one thinks I've dropped off the face of the world, I'm in mid-move. After passing my CCFP exams (yay, me!) and finishing my family medicine residency, I've packed up Mr. Couz, Big Dog, Velcro Dog and The Bean (who, at 18 weeks gestation, is still very portable) and moved to a less "academic" region.

Stay tuned. More adventures of Dr. Couz are coming as I become a full-fledged emergency medicine resident (again) and muddle through various rotations across Canada (the downside of a less "academic" centre is that it's not big enough to support specialized rotations like trauma and peds emerg) while moonlighting my ass off (so much debt to pay off!), as I try to fit my rapidly-expanding waistline into Hazmat suits (makes the scrubs look positively stylish!).

But in the meantime, I'm just trying to get the internet hooked up at our new house. Trying to focus on one battle at a time.

Back soon.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

So - the debt is eventually "pay-offable?" Please reassure me! I keep losing sleep about that!

8:07 AM

 
Blogger Nikki said...

Congrats on passing! Way to go!!

Is your "less academic" region anywhere near my "less academic" region??? :)

10:21 AM

 
Blogger Couz said...

No, Nik... not really. You can see my Facebook page for my new digs.

But good luck in YOUR 'less academic' region. :-)

And MSLIF... I don't think I'll be able to reassure you for another 4-5 years. But I'll keep you posted!

6:25 PM

 
Blogger Dr. J. said...

Hey Dr. C., if you can convince the marital unit to make the trek northwards for a year after you finish you can most likely pay off your debt in a year. For you, with your newly enhanced ED skills, a nice option might be Yellowknife....most big city amenities, great salary and benefits, and a core group of CCFP-EMs in their ED.
Food for thought, there are hundreds of places that will give you all sorts of perks to come to their locality!
Have a fun year!
Dr. J.

10:28 PM

 
Blogger Couz said...

Hi Dr. J!

Funny you should post this, as I recently got a recruitment e-mail from Yellowknife spouting the benefits of time there. I don't know if I'd do Yellowknife, but I've spent some time in Whitehorse and loved it. If they need paramedics, I might be able to convince Mr. Couz to give it a shot.

And I'm anxiously awaiting reading more about the adventures of you and your lovely wife in the far north!

Hugs to you both.

11:17 AM

 
Blogger Dr. J. said...

Thanks Dr. C,
The NWT has a chronic need of paramedics it seems. If your husband has any interest in air ambulance type stuff he should contact Kenn Borek Air, who have a lot of the northern contracts. They are usually staffed with locum paramedics, so even if you 2 were only going north for a month you could both be working...
We fly to Iqaluit in 13 days, so soon there will be new food for thought on our blog!
Cheers,
Dr. J.

10:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home