The world of medicine is like a bubble. A lot of people THINK they know what goes on there, but unless you're down in the trenches it's unlikely you do. So here is my semi-anonymous blog, here to tell you what really goes on in the life of a medical resident.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Match, Redux

It happened. Again. But with a much better outcome.

So after the horror of the first match (see this blog's first three posts in August 2005 for details), I was understandably apprehensive this time around. As Novemeber 2nd approached, I had convinced myself that not only would I not match to my first choice, but I wouldn't match to any of the four programs where I had interviewed. In fact, I had already begun to think about where I'd like to set up my first locum... somewhere in the region between Sudbury and Sault St. Marie, in a Family Health Network that used electronic medical records-- preferably Mac based. I'd work in family medicine but pick up shifts in rural emergency rooms until I could either challenge the emergency medicine certification exam or apply for one of the re-entry positions later on in my career. I was clearly prepared for the worst.

Instead, I matched. Not only did I match, but I matched to my first choice program. The program with the residents that I liked, the program that was well put-together, the emergency room that saw a significant amount of volume, critical and trauma, the city with the reasonable cost-of-living and proximity to all of the outdoor pursuits that we love, and the proximity to my husband's family. Things couldn't have worked out better. My leap of faith, changing programs from emergency medicine to family medicine, paid off. Now I'll be finishing my family medicine residency in June, and will follow it up with my one-year emergency medicine fellowship which will qualify me to work in pretty much any emergency room in the province.

The only somewhat-sad part is that neither of my friends from medical school who were applying for the PGY-3 emergency medicine ended up at the same centre as I did. But I know for sure that at least one of them matched, so I'll be happy for them even though it would have been nice to train with either of them.

And as a nice perk, since I will have passed my family medicine board exams by that time, I can moonlight while completing my fellowship year. The debt will like that.

Life is good.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

Woohoo! Congratulations! That's so awesome!!!

6:21 PM

 
Blogger MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

Great news. Congratulations Dr. Couz.

7:56 PM

 
Blogger Liana said...

Congratulations.

I'm just a R1 (family med), but can't tolerate the idea of a third year right now. If I do anything, it will be challenge the EM exam at some point down the road (I do better as an independent learner anyway).

10:50 PM

 
Blogger Kungfukitten said...

Congratulations! That's got to be a huge relief to have that all sorted out and your first choice, awesome! You rule the ER!

2:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!

12:46 PM

 
Blogger VitaminKMD said...

WOOOOOOOOOOO!

So so so so so deserved! And your program of choicest, dearest Couz, is so damn lucky to get you!

I'm sending massive e-hugs!

VK

6:01 PM

 
Blogger Brandi Gunn said...

Hey, I am a 33 y.o. third year medical student / mom with two kids wrestling with the career choices of EM versus FM. I would love advice from someone who's been through a career switch and knows both EM and FM. Specifically, I was told that one could do a one-yr FM fellowship after EM and work as a family doctor, which seemed a great option for me. Problem: no clear evidence that such a fellowship actually exists after a thorough web/professional organization search. Also, have anecdotally seen EM docs practicing in outpt clinic setting where a FP doc could practice, but not sure of the laws, etc. Know I could do a 1 yr fellowship (non-accredited?) in EM following an FP residency, but this reverses my practice preference. I am looking for ideas and dialogue! Many thanks for your posts!
-Brandi Gunn

10:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home