The world of medicine is like a bubble. A lot of people THINK they know what goes on there, but unless you're down in the trenches it's unlikely you do. So here is my semi-anonymous blog, here to tell you what really goes on in the life of a medical resident.

Monday, November 13, 2006

The Return of the Difficult Patient

He came back today. The guy who called me 'honey' and wouldn't accept my diagnosis that his cough was viral. For a refresher, click here.

I was ready for him this time. I wasn't going to put up with being spoken down to, or condescended to. I'm a lot more confident now than I was 11 months ago when we first met.

It was easy. He was just constipated. I took a focused history, examined him, and wrote him a script for Lactulose. I told him to keep taking the Colace he had tried to avoid future logjams. It was, all in all, a very civilized exchange. He thanked me for my advice, and I turned to leave the room.

"I hope this works," he said as he reached for the doorknob, "I mean, you're a really cute chick and all, sweetheart, but I don't wanna have to come back."

Sigh. So close.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home