The world of medicine is like a bubble. A lot of people THINK they know what goes on there, but unless you're down in the trenches it's unlikely you do. So here is my semi-anonymous blog, here to tell you what really goes on in the life of a medical resident.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

On the Road Again

At about this time last year, I took up running. Some of you who have been reading my blog since the start might remember the trials and tribulations of my plantar faciitis at that time. The funny thing is, I hate running. I always have. But at some point in my athletic career, running became the holy grail of athleticism. If you could run, you were fit. If you could run, you were an athlete. It didn't matter how good I was at jiu-jitsu, kickboxing, rowing, softball or any of the other more competitive pursuits I've been involved with in my life, I always looked at runners with envy.

It wasn't that I hadn't tried to run. I had completed the Couch to 5K program no less than three times. After my second year of medical school I completed the Learn To Run program through The Running Room with two of my friends. At the end of the 10 week program I could get through 5k, but still hated every painful minute of it. Regardless of how long I spent on the elliptical trainer at the gym or how much I was able to squat I never got any good at running. I just figured that my body wasn't built for it.

Last spring I decided to give running yet another kick at the can. I wasn't finding the time to make it to the gym regularly, and running had the added bonus of walking the dog at the same time. I'm all about the multitasking.

So I started slow. Big dog loved it. He got so used to our 5:45am wake up times that if I dared hit the snooze button he'd plop his big head up on the bed so that his nose was nearly touching mine. He was not a training partner that would take no for an answer. So I'd get up and run. And walk. And run. And walk some more. And pretty soon, I was doing more running than walking. And pretty soon after that, I was running 30 minutes straight. I still didn't love it, though.

There were obstacles. A heat wave in the summer kept me from running anywhere but the treadmill at the air conditioned gym for three weeks. I never felt acclimatized to the severe humidity, and even my little 30 minute runs became a struggle. In September I ran a 5k race and missed my 30-minute goal by 30 seconds. I got discouraged. But running gave me more energy and I knew if I stopped, I'd lose the gains that I'd worked so hard to achieve. So I kept running.

Soon I began to notice strange urges-- when I was at home in the evening, I'd think about going for a run. If I hadn't run the day before, I'd be thinking about running throughout the day. It's wasn't a guilt... it was a craving. I ran in the rain. I ran in the snow. I ran in the cold. And at some point along the way I realized that I enjoyed running.

I'll never win any races. I'm not breaking any land-speed barriers. But I've recently committed to running a half marathon in May. I'll be happy if I run it in less than 2.5 hours. My closet is filled with running shoes in various states of destruction and I use words like Fartlek and Body Glide without giggling.

I guess I'm a runner.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Craver said...

Your running beginning sounds much like mine, I loved reading yours., and my big dog and your big dog are of the same mind. GET UP GET UP GET UP.
:)
Enjoy your empty house.

JustJen

11:52 AM

 
Blogger A girl said...

I started this running biz last year as an excuse for study-free time (I also used long showers and daily legs shaving for the same purpose). Initialy, I hated every minute of it, but eventually I learnt to love it. But this year I have not done much... Your post made me want to go back though... How strange.

2:54 AM

 
Blogger ditzydoctor said...

yeyy! how i empathise. no matter how well i play softball, i still feel like i'm second to runners - they're the pinnacle of athleticism! and so i've started running - it's not easy but like you, i've really grown to love it! =D

12:52 PM

 
Blogger DV said...

i agree - definitely a runner. I've stopped and come back to it many times over the years, even though i maintain that I hate it!

Nice blog, btw, from a newbie...

1:44 PM

 
Blogger Nikki said...

I missed this when you first posted it...but well done on becoming a runner! I did the Learn To Run program and came out of it actually enjoying running - but my knees were shot and took 6 months to recover. So...I've retired from running. I'm envious of you! ;)

8:33 PM

 
Blogger XE said...

I love to run - I'm so envious that you can! No matter how far I run, what kind of shoes I wear, and whether I'm running on ground or on a treadmill I get injured and end up hobbling around on crutches. I've given it up, but I really miss it.

9:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Running is a release of your inner athlete. Even though I'm dog tired after a good run, once I'm accustomed, my body realizes that my everyday aches and pains are simply that, everyday little aches and pains. I glide through the rest of the day.

3:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I started running at 40 as part of my mid-life crisis and wound up running 2 marathons (Paris and NYC). It's one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Good luck with the half, I'm training for one in May too. There's something about doctors and running long distances (a good percentage of marathoners are physicians). When I run the half, I'll post something on my blog,
www.docwhisperer.wordpress.com

10:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home