The world of medicine is like a bubble. A lot of people THINK they know what goes on there, but unless you're down in the trenches it's unlikely you do. So here is my semi-anonymous blog, here to tell you what really goes on in the life of a medical resident.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

I Am a Bad Person

It's Match Day! Why do I, as a third year emergency medicine resident, care? After all, we matched our incoming class of PGY-3 EM residents back in November. We're a rural centre which rarely fills all of our family medicine spots. I have very little contact with first year family medicine residents, and will only be a resident myself until the end of November. So basically, this day doesn't really have any impact on my life. Except, possibly, to bring back the PTSD flashbacks of my own Match Day 3 years ago. 

Because someone who once did something very nasty to me is graduating from medical school this year. Word on the street is that she's not in a great position to match to her chosen specialty. If there is such thing as karma, she is currently drowning her sorrows somewhere as we speak.

I am a bad person. ;-)

7 Comments:

Blogger med neophyte said...

Ahh yes, schadenfreude. I know the feeling well. My thoughts are, if you didn't do anything to dive bomb her chances, you have every right to revel in her troubles. But then I can be a pretty bad person too.

6:52 PM

 
Blogger XE said...

Wow, she must have done something really bad in order for you to wish so poorly for her.

7:52 PM

 
Blogger MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

2 weeks to go for the ol' USA! I'm hoping no one's thinking such thoughts about me...

11:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not even in med school, I'm doing a PhD.....and I'm dying to know what happened to some of my former "friends" on Match Day. I don't wish them harm, but I am kinda hoping they don't match anywhere near they city where I am now! :)

2:43 PM

 
Blogger Nikki said...

I found Match Day surprisingly exciting, I suppose because it was only a year ago that I was there (and also didn't get my 1st choice, although for me that has worked out really well.) My site went unmatched this year though, so I will be all by myself for my entire residency there!

I have a hunch that I know the person you're talking about. The one I'm thinking of didn't match. Karma.

11:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, good to see you're blogging again.

You're not a bad person, just a human one. (And I too still have PTSD-and it's been seven years since my match day!)

1:45 PM

 
Blogger zchamu said...

Reminds me of one of my favourite gaping void cartoons - http://flickr.com/photos/adactio/1766795576/in/set-72157602729542371/

heeeee.

9:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home