The world of medicine is like a bubble. A lot of people THINK they know what goes on there, but unless you're down in the trenches it's unlikely you do. So here is my semi-anonymous blog, here to tell you what really goes on in the life of a medical resident.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Yet Another Identity Crisis

I've been at a bit of an impasse lately regarding the future of this blog. As you all know, I'm currently on maternity leave. Those of you who read this blog regularly are also aware that I vowed not to let this blog turn into a 'mommy' blog. The problem is, when you've spent three months at home, two of them with a baby, and haven't done anything relating to medicine in that time, it's more than a little difficult to find something to talk about that ISN'T mommy related.

The Bean is doing great. He's quite the little porker (tipping the scales at nearly 15 lbs at his 2 month well-baby visit) and is smiling, cooing, and has recently discovered that his hands are the tastiest things ever. He sleeps well at night (usually) and hates napping during the day. And much to my relief, I am very much in love with my little man. 

It took about a month for the hormones to stabilize and for me to start to feel halfway human again. My hemoglobin came back up to 107 in spite of my intolerance to supplements-- my prenatals did the job just fine without making me sick. The only lasting effects of my pregnancy is a dull ache in my left hip and being more out of shape than I've ever been in my life. I'm very much looking forward to spring when getting outside with the Bean and the furkids isn't quite so complicated a process. 

I started going back to my academic half days when the baby was 4 weeks old. Mr. Couz um... 'lovingly encouraged' me (read: booted me out of the house because I was driving him nuts) to head back. I've been going in an attempt to clear the cobwebs from my head. The emergency medicine exam is looming, and I'm not getting any smarter. Gah. So in the meantime, if I'm not a doctor right now, what am I? 

So here I am, getting my feet wet and blogging again. Much as I'm venturing slowly back into the world of medicine. This should be interesting.

In the meantime, here's a gratuitous Bean shot:


8 Comments:

Blogger JeanMac said...

Bean is so sweet - good to read an update.

5:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's a little bigger and just as cute! Take it easy and do what you can - the world of work will always be there.

8:49 PM

 
Blogger moplans said...

aww he's a handsome little guy.
love the shirt.

10:10 PM

 
Blogger MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

Awesome to hear from you again. I was hoping that you'd not decide to just leave altogether - as blogging is quite tertiary to everything else. The Bean looks good and I'm glad to hear you guys are well.

And when I saw a new post I said, out loud in class: "YES!"

9:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, it's great to see you back! I sure hope you don't give up on the blog - it's one of my favourites.

The Bean is adorable.

5:38 PM

 
Blogger XE said...

Huzzah, you're back! The bean is adorable :)

5:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dr. Couz, I am just a random Pre-Med who stumbled on your blog and loved it. Just wanted to encourage you to please keep writing. It is so encouraging to hear about someone who is able to practice medicine, while she is a wife and a mother. Even though I am sure it is very challenging you seem to be doing really well and that is uplifting!!! I love the medically themed blogs but hearing about the balancing act would be fascinating as well. Thanks Much!!!

11:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huge congrats to you and Mr. Couz. (I first found your blog through your posts on the WB boards. Exciting to now see you in a new phase of life - mommyhood! I hope to be there soon too.) Bean is a lucky little dude and sooooo cute. Hope you're all doing well. Keep writing, we love your stories and insights.

Cheers,
Sarah ("Sarah_and_Toby" on the WB boards)

12:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home